教授：謝曹玉華博士 (2004 多倫多大學教育博士；1983-2018 教育學院講師)
上課日期：2020年1月8日至2020年3月11日 (逢週三，1月22日停課, 共9課)
To develop and enhance students' advanced reading skills in English especially for reading the Bible and theological texts.
Biblical and theological vocabulary,
grammar, sentence structures and genre in the texts of the Bible, theological books/articles and other publications such as hymns and quotations
Here is the revised list of Course Requirements: (updated on 11 Feb 2020)
1) Quiz to be taken on 13 February. You need to do revision on the theological terms we discussed in class and the English-Chinese names of the books of the Bible. The question paper will be sent out to you after the Zoom class on 12 Feb. Please take 20 minutes to complete the quiz and submit your answers before or by 11:00pm on 13 February. This is an honest system operation. (20%)
2) The Guided Home Reading assignment I sent to you on 30 January to be submitted as Assignment 2 by 22 February. (20%)
3) (This assignment is to replace the previous individual presentation.) Select a passage of no less than 500 words, either from the Bible or Basic Christianity. Identify the theme of the passage, the main idea in each paragraph, comment on the language used such as the vocabulary, sentence structure and/or other grammar points. You may refer to the guiding questions in Assignment 2 for more ideas. Please attach your selected passage to the assignment. Submit your work as Assignment 3 by 7 March. (20%)
4) You will work on some given texts from the Bible and other theological publications. More details will be given later. This Assignment 4 will be due on 28 March. (40%)
1. Stott, John. Basic Christianity. S.l.: Intervarsity Press, 2019.
2. An English-Chinese bilingual Bible
3. An English dictionary for advanced learners
1. Hibbs, Pierce, and Megan Reiley. Theological English: An Advanced ESL Text for Students of Theology. New Jersey: P & R Publishing, 2018.
2. Peterson, Eugene. The Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language. Navpress, 2002.
3. Lewis, C. S. Mere Christianity. New York: HarperOne, 2015.
4. McKim, Donald K. The Westminster Dictionary of Theological Terms. 2nd ed. Louisville: Westminster John Knox Press, 2014.
- Teacher: 謝曹玉華博士 Dr. Tse Tso Yuk Wah ADJUNCT