Counseling refers to the practices counselors use to treat persons with psychological and relational problems. It often involves a set of techniques that a counselor use in order to solve the problems that the clients are encountering. These techniques vary among counselors depending on which school of thoughts they adopt in explaining the causes of and appropriate intervention for the presenting problems. This course is designed to provide basic knowledge concerning these various school of thoughts or theories. It serves as a foundation course in the Marriage and Family Counseling curriculum, providing an understanding of the different counseling theories that support future practice. The classes will be conducted in various formats including lectures, discussion, role-plays, video analysis, etc.
Upon successful completion of the course, students will:
1. Define counselling and describe the historical development of its practice;
2. Describe how each theory conceptualizes human nature, presenting problems and the change process;
3. Identify the major counselling techniques used to promote change in each theory;
4. Describe the important figures associated with each theory and the historical context in which the approach emerged;
5. Increase the level of enthusiasm about the overall application of the theories to counselling practices.6. Be aware of the potential conflict between the counselling theories and the principal Christian doctrines.
L1 Course Introduction
L2 Psychoanalytic approaches
L3. Person-Centered approach
Jan 19 祈禱日
L4. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy I
L5. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy II
L6. Existential approach
L7. Family Systems approach
L8. Postmodern approach I - Emotion-Focused Therapy (Mrs. Selina Leung)
L9. Postmodern approach II - Narrative Therapy (Rev. Anders Chan)
Corey, Gerald. (2016). Theory and Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy (10th Ed.). Belmont, CA: Brooks/Cole, Cengage.
修慧蘭等譯. (2016)。諮商與心理治療：理論與實務，中文第四版。台北：雙葉書廊。Corey, G. (2016). Theory and Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy (10th Ed).
(1) Learning Log 我的心理傳記 (about 4 000 words)
(2) Biographical Sketch of biblical characters 聖經人物素描 (about 4 000 words)
1. Corey, Gerald. (2016). Theory and Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy (10th Ed.). Belmont, CA: Brooks/Cole, Cengage.
2. Collins, G. R. (2007). Christian Counseling: A comprehensive guide (3rd Ed.). Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers。
3. Collins, G. R. (2007). Christian Counseling Casebook: A companion to Christian counseling (3rd Ed.). Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers。
4. John Sommers-Flanagan, Rita Sommers-Flanagan (2012). Counseling and Psychotherapy Theories in Context and Practice : Skills, Strategies, and Techniques. Hoboken, NJ : Wiley.
5. Elsie. Jones-Smith (2012). Theories of Counseling and Psychotherapy : An Integrative Approach. London ; Thousand Oaks, Calif. : SAGE Publications.
6. Linda. Seligman. (2014). Theories of counseling and psychotherapy : systems, strategies, and skills. Boston : Pearson.
7. Rick Johnson (2013). Spirituality in counseling and psychotherapy : an integrative approach that empowers clients. Hoboken, New Jersey : John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
8. Siang-Yang Tan (2011). Counseling and psychotherapy : a Christian perspective. Grand Rapids, MI : Baker Academic
9. Jamie D Aten; Mark R McMinn; Everett L. Worthington Jr. (2011). Spiritually oriented interventions for counseling and psychotherapy. Washington, DC : American Psychological Association.
10. Jones, S. L. & Butman, R. E. (2011). Modern Psychotherapies: A Comprehensive Christian Appraisal. Illinois: IVP Academic.
11. McMinn, M.R. & Campbell, C.D. (2007). Integrative Psychotherapy: Toward a comprehensive Christian approach. Illinois: IVP Academic.
12. Bland, E. D. & Strawn, B. D. (2014). Christianity and Psychoanalysis: A New Conversation. Illinois: IVP Academic
13. Nicholi, A. M. (2003). The Question of God: C.S. Lewis and Sigmund Freud Debate God, Love, Sex and the Meaning of Life. NY: Free Press.
14. Gerald Corey 著. 修慧蘭 等譯.《諮商與心理治療 : 理論與實務》. 臺北 : 新加坡商智學習, 2016.
- Teacher: 劉佩婷博士 Dr. Lau Pui Ting FACULTY